(2019) (Lupita Nyong'o, Winston Duke) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A family must contend with their evil doppelgangers unexpectedly showing up with the apparent intent of killing all of them.
- As a young girl in the mid-1980s, Adelaide Wilson (MADISON CURRY) wandered off from her parents at night visiting the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Amusement Park and entered the Vision Quest -- Find Yourself attraction by herself. But she wasn't alone as she encountered her doppelganger, an incident that left her emotionally traumatized.
Now, thirty-plus years later, Adelaide (LUPITA NYONG'O) is married to Gabe (WINSTON DUKE) and has two kids, Zora (SHAHADI WRIGHT JOSEPH) and Jason (EVAN ALEX). They're an average middle-class family who are friends and neighbors with Kitty (ELISABETH MOSS) and Josh (TIM HEIDECKER) who have two kids of their own.
For a bit of summer relaxation, Gabe suggests they visit the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, something that leaves Adelaide unsettled. But she agrees as long as they return before dark. They do, but that night they're startled to find four strangers standing at the end of their driveway. They're not just any strangers, however, and instead are their doppelgangers who force their way into the house and take the family hostage.
But they're not exact duplicates in terms of personalities and behavior, with Adelaide's twin speaking in a croaky voice, Gabe's being a non-verbal bear of a man, Zora's being a creepy and speedy girl, and Jason's a masked, seemingly feral boy with a thing for matches. Realizing their doppelgangers mean them harm, and with Gabe being injured by his, it's up to Adelaide to figure out how to get themselves out of this predicament and stay alive.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into horror films they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violence/terror, and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.