(2019) (Jonathan Pryce, Anthony Hopkins) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: Facing changes and challenges in the Catholic church, both a cardinal and the pope mull their futures.
It's 2005 and with Pope John Paul II having died, it's up to the papal conclave to elect the next pope, with the two leading candidates being Cardinal Ratzinger (ANTHONY HOPKINS) from Germany who believes only in tradition and Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio (JONATHAN PRYCE) from Argentina who wants progressive changes in the church. Ratzinger ends up winning and becomes Pope Benedict.
Seven years later, the church is embroiled in controversy after controversy, and Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio has decided it's time for him to retire. Coincidentally, Pope Benedict has called him to the Vatican to discuss something of importance, but the two end up clashing over their differing beliefs in the direction the church is and should be headed. All of which leads to the Pope refusing Bergoglio's resignation, thinking it would be yet another stain on the church.
As the two men continue to meet and learn they have some common ground, we also learn about Bergoglio's earlier years as a priest (JUAN MINUJIN) who found himself mired in his own controversy.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might be interested, but that's probably it.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic content and some disturbing violent images.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.