(2019) (Melissa McCarthy, Tiffany Haddish) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: With their husbands in prison, three late 1970s era wives decide to take over the Irish mob operations in New York's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood.
- It's 1978 and mob wives Kathy Brennan (MELISSA MCCARTHY), Ruby O'Carroll (TIFFANY HADDISH) and Claire Walsh (ELISABETH MOSS) have found themselves in tough financial straits, what with their husbands -- Jimmy (BRIAN d'ARCY JAMES), Kevin (JAMES BADGE DALE) and Rob (JEREMY BOBB) respectively -- having just been sent to prison for beating up FBI agents Gary Silvers (COMMON) and Gonzalo Martinez (E.J. BONILLA) in New York's Hell's Kitchen neighborhood.
Kevin's mother, Helen O'Carroll (MARGO MARTINDALE), is the figurehead of the Irish mob there, but it's the men below her who run the business. And while they've paid the three wives some support money, it's not enough to get by. Accordingly, and upon hearing that local businesses aren't paying their "fees" because they aren't being protected, the three women decide that not only will they start collecting that money, but they'll start taking over day to day business operations.
That doesn't sit well with the men, but Kathy's family members in the mob back them, as does military vet and hitman Gabriel O'Malley (DOMHNALL GLEESON) who shows up to provide them with protection, all while courting Claire who's done with her abusive husband.
And the women might just need their protection, what with Italian mob boss Alfonso Coretti (BILL CAMP) not being pleased with them cutting into his business and especially with the trio's husbands getting out of prison sooner than expected.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might, especially if they're fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violence, language throughout and some sexual content.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.