(2019) (Anne Hathaway, Rebel Wilson) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Adventure: A retelling of "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels," only this time it's two female con artists looking to bilk rich men on the French Riviera.
- Josephine Chesterfield (ANNE HATHAWAY) is a high-class con artist who has long specialized in bilking rich men. She has mastered multiple accents, languages, and dialects; knows fine art, wine, and culture; and has amassed a multimillion-dollar fortune all while living in a swank estate home on the French Riviera. Life is good, and she has the local police inspector, Brigitte (INGRID OLIVER), on her payroll and frequently incorporates her loyal butler, Albert (NICHOLAS WOODESON), in her machinations.
But their upscale grifting is threatened with the arrival of a crass, coarse con artist from America named Penny (REBEL WILSON). Penny has been strictly small time in the U.S., devising various Internet scams that take unsuspecting men for a few hundred dollars at a time. She yearns for a big score, but Josephine is afraid her boorish ways will "scare away the game."
A rivalry develops and ultimately the two man-hating women make a bet involving a twenty-something tech billionaire named Thomas Westerburg (ALEX SHARP). The first one to relieve Thomas of $500,000 gets to stay in the seaside Mediterranean town that's home to playboys and moguls alike. Penny poses as a blind woman in need of a legendary doctor's expensive treatment for her condition. Josephine heads her off by posing as the doctor, whose fee is $500,000 to treat "poor Penny."
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens may be attracted to its two lead stars and broad comedy.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For crude sexual content and language (on appeal from the original R rating).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.