(2019) (Helen Mirren, Ian McKellen) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: An older woman begins dating an older man, seemingly unaware that he's really only after her money.
- On the surface, Betty McLeish (HELEN MIRREN) and Roy Courtnay (IAN McKELLEN) seem like a cute, much older couple that has met through online dating where their profiles contained seemingly minor and self-protective white lies. According to Betty's overprotective young adult grandson, Steven (RUSSELL TOVEY), she's a former professor who taught at Oxford, while Roy is still dabbling in financial investments with his business partner, Vincent (JIM CARTER).
But little does Betty seem to know that Roy is a con man who's fleeced others for huge sums of money and has now set his sights on her, something Steven apparently senses, what with his distrust in the man and his motives. Not believing that and brushing it aside, Betty continues to see Roy who does seem to enjoy the time he spends with her. As their relationship evolves, however, that fondness, like everything else about Roy, could either be genuine or just another of his ploys as he gets closer to gaining control of her life savings.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of someone in the cast it doesn't seem that likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For some strong violence, and for language and brief nudity.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.