(2019) (Ansel Elgort, Nicole Kidman) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young man finds himself still affected by his mother's death in a bombing when he was thirteen and the painting he took from that.
- Theo Decker (OAKES FEGLEY) is a 13-year-old who's just lost his mother in a bombing in a New York art museum. With his father having abandoned the family months ago, Theo ends up staying with his friend's wealthy family where the mother, Samantha Barbour (NICOLE KIDMAN), tries to provide as much love and support as she can.
At the same time, Theo visits antique furniture restorer Hobie (JEFFREY WRIGHT) to deliver a ring given to him by Hobie's business partner who was fatally wounded in the bombing where that man's niece, Pippa (AIMEE LAURENCE), suffered a brain injury. Unbeknownst to anyone, and at the urging of Pippa's uncle in the aftermath of the bombing, Theo took Carel Fabritius' 17th-century painting, The Goldfinch, and has kept it as a connection to his mom.
Just as Theo thinks he can live happily ever after with the Harbours, his father, Larry (LUKE WILSON), and that man's girlfriend, Xandra (SARAH PAULSON), show up to take him back to their home on the outskirts of Las Vegas. A one-time actor and recovering alcoholic, Larry has taken to gambling and his sights set on Theo's college fund. During that time, Theo ends up becoming friends with Boris (FINN WOLFHARD), a teen who lives with his abusive father and introduces Theo to the world of drugs.
Flash forward a number of years and Theo (ANSEL ELGORT) works as a salesman for Hobie and is engaged to Samantha's daughter, Kitsey (WILLA FITZGERALD), but often thinks of Pippa (ASHLEIGH CUMMINGS) who now lives in London with her boyfriend. When he runs into drug dealer Boris (ANEURIN BARNARD), Theo's world ends up in turmoil, all as he continues to blame himself for his mother's death.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of anyone in the cast or of the source novel, they might.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For drug use and language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.