(2019) (Awkwafina, Shuzhen Zhou) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A Chinese-born American woman returns to China to join her immediate and extended family to see her terminally ill grandmother who's unaware of her diagnosis and believes everyone is there to attend her grandson's wedding.
- Billi (AWKWAFINA) is a young woman who was born in China but raised in America by her parents, Haiyan (TZI MA) and Jian (DIANE LIN). When she learns that her cousin Hao Hao's (CHEN HAN) upcoming wedding is just a ruse to get the family together to say goodbye to her terminally ill grandmother, Nai Nai (SHUZHEN ZHOU), Billi wants to attend. But her parents are worried that she'll spill the beans, what with Nai Nai being oblivious to her diagnosis, something that's been kept from her by her sister, Little Nai Nai (LU HONG), and to which everyone has agreed to maintain that secret.
Nonetheless, and despite not having any money, Billi flies there and surprises everyone, including her uncle Haibin (JIANG YONGBO) and the rest of his family who've arrived from Japan. But Nai Nai is quite pleased to see her granddaughter as well as having the whole family together for the first time in decades. With the nuptials quickly approaching, Billi tries to keep her emotions in check as she and everyone else tries to keep up the ruse.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of Awkwafina or anyone else in the cast or are looking for film featuring a mostly Asian cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic material, brief language and some smoking.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.