(2019) (Linda Cardellini, Roman Christou) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A mother tries to protect her kids from an evil spirit that wants to kill them.
- It's 1973 and Anna Tate-Garcia (LINDA CARDELLINI) is a widowed mom with two young kids, Chris (ROMAN CHRISTOU) and his younger sister, Samantha (JAYNEE-LYNNE KINCHEN). She works for child protective services in Los Angeles alongside the likes of Det. Cooper (SEAN PATRICK THOMAS), and her latest case concerns Patricia Alvarez (PATRICIA VELASQUEZ) whose kids haven't been at their school in days. When Anna does a home visit, she finds the kids locked in a closet while Patricia gets hysterical that she's opened that door.
Not long after that, both of those boys end up drowned in the nearby river. Anna is called to the site in the middle of the night and with no babysitter available, she brings her kids along but leaves them in the car off at a distance. But it's then that Chris has an encounter with La Llorona (MARISOL RAMIREZ), a.k.a. The Weeping Woman, who grabs his arm, leaving bloody burn marks there. It turns out she's a centuries-old evil spirit that Patricia was trying to protect her kids from, and it's not long before Samantha and Anna also have run-ins with the spirit. A local priest gives them the low-down about that entity who drowned her own kids back in 1673 and has been searching for new victims to replace them ever since.
He sends them to a former priest, Rafael Olvera (RAYMOND CRUZ), who might be able to help them, albeit through unorthodox and certainly not church sanctioned ways. As the encounters with La Llorona increase, Anna does what she can to protect her kids.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're into supernatural-based horror films.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violence and terror.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.