(2019) (Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Shannon) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: Two American inventors compete to bring their electrical system to the masses in the late 19th century.
- It's the late 19th century and inventor Thomas Edison (BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH) has introduced his incandescent light bulb to the world and is pushing for his direct current electrical system to be adopted as the standard for lighting up America. With the support of his wife, Mary (TUPPENCE MIDDLETON), and assistant, Samuel Insull (TOM HOLLAND), and the financial backing of famous banker J.P. Morgan (MATTHEW MACFADYEN), Thomas seems unstoppable.
Except for the fact that his main competitor, George Westinghouse (MICHAEL SHANNON), is pushing the far cheaper and more efficient alternating current electrical system. With the support of his wife, Marguerite (KATHERINE WATERSTON), and engineering prowess of Franklin Pope (STANLEY TOWNSEND), he hopes to prove that his version is the better choice than Edison's.
And then there's futurist inventor Nikola Tesla (NICHOLAS HOULT) who initially works for Edison but ends up dismayed when the more famous inventor dismisses his work. After trying to make it on his own, he ends up working for Westinghouse, all while Edison pushes the fact that AC power is potentially lethal.
That draws the attention of a human rights advocate who wants to create an electric chair to execute criminals rather than do so in what he thinks is the more barbaric mode of hanging. With that stealing some of their respective spotlights, the two inventors race to beat out the other before the Chicago World's Fair.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's not that likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For some disturbing/violent images, and thematic elements.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.