(2019) (Keira Knightley, Jason Clarke) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A British wife, still grieving over her dead son from a Nazi bombing during WWII, joins her military husband in Hamburg where she hates all Germans but then starts to have a change of heart toward the handsome widower whose house they're occupying.
- It's five months after the end of WWII and the German city of Hamburg lies in ruins. Various Allied forces are there to assist in rebuilding the city, keeping the peace and documenting the citizens. Unlike his colleague Maj. Keith Burnham (MARTIN COMPSTON), Colonel Lewis Morgan (JASON CLARKE) feels bad for them and wants to help as much as possible. His wife, Rachael (KEIRA KNIGHTLEY), however, has a vastly different opinion about such matters, what with their then 11-year-old son having died during a Nazi bombing in London a few years earlier.
Accordingly, she despises all Germans, including former architect and widower Stephen Lubert (ALEXANDER SKARSGARD) and his teenage daughter Freda (FLORA THIEMANN) whose large manor they're now occupying. She's especially upset when Lewis allows them to stay in the house, albeit on the upper floors. With Lewis working most of the time, she's not comfortable with this situation, but enjoys spending time with Keith's wife, Susan (KATE PHILLIPS). While Stephen tries to be as accommodating as possible, Freda doesn't like the intruders and ends up spending more time with young Nazi sympathizer Albert (JANNIK SCHUMANN).
But realizing they have more in common than their differences -- mainly having lost loved ones in the war -- Rachael begins to soften her attitude. All of which leads to an unexpected development between her and Stephen and leaves them wondering about their future in the war-torn country.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens seem the most likely among kids, but probably only if they're a fan of someone in the cast or of old period dramas.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For sexual content/nudity, and violence including some disturbing images.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.