(2019) (Zachary Levi, Mark Strong) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Superhero Action: A 14-year-old boy gains the ability to turn into an adult superhero and must use that to battle a villain who wants his powers.
- Billy Batson (ASHER ANGEL) is a 14-year-old boy who's searched for his long-lost mom for years even while being moved from one foster home to another. His latest stop is with Rosa (MARTA MILANS) and Victor Vasquez (COOPER ANDREWS) who have a number of foster kids. They include Mary (GRACE FULTON) who's preparing to go to college, big-time gamer Eugene (IAN CHEN), shy Pedro (JOVAN ARMAND) and precocious young Darla (FAITHE HERMAN).
But it's the similarly aged Freddy (JACK DYLAN GRAZER) who becomes Billy's friend. When Billy ends up defending Freddy from some older high school bullies, the teen escapes into the subway system where he's magically teleported into a mystical cave where he meets Shazam (DJIMON HOUNSOU). He's the keeper of the Rock of Eternity and guard of the seven deadly sins who are currently trapped in statues. Shazam is looking for someone pure of heart to replace him, and before he knows it, Billy is suddenly transformed into an adult superhero (ZACHARY LEVI) and returned to the regular world.
There, he and Freddy test his powers that include being impervious to bullets and having the ability to fly and otherwise zip around at ultra-high-speeds. That draws the attention of Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (MARK STRONG) who similarly was transported into that mystical cave as a boy decades ago but was not chosen. Ever since then, he's been obsessed with finding a way back there and he eventually does where he manages to unleash and now control those deadly sins that appear as large monsters. Now realizing that Billy has the powers and abilities he believes should be his, Thaddeus sets out to get them from the teen who's still trying to figure out how to handle and control his new superpowers.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's a good bet many will, especially if they're into superhero stories.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of action, language, and suggestive material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.