(2019) (Zachary Levi, Mark Strong) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Superhero Action: A 14-year-old boy gains the ability to turn into an adult superhero and must use that to battle a villain who wants his powers.
- Billy Batson (ASHER ANGEL) is a 14-year-old boy who's searched for his long-lost mom for years even while being moved from one foster home to another. His latest stop is with Rosa (MARTA MILANS) and Victor Vasquez (COOPER ANDREWS) who have a number of foster kids. They include Mary (GRACE FULTON) who's preparing to go to college, big-time gamer Eugene (IAN CHEN), shy Pedro (JOVAN ARMAND) and precocious young Darla (FAITHE HERMAN).
But it's the similarly aged Freddy (JACK DYLAN GRAZER) who becomes Billy's friend. When Billy ends up defending Freddy from some older high school bullies, the teen escapes into the subway system where he's magically teleported into a mystical cave where he meets Shazam (DJIMON HOUNSOU). He's the keeper of the Rock of Eternity and guard of the seven deadly sins who are currently trapped in statues. Shazam is looking for someone pure of heart to replace him, and before he knows it, Billy is suddenly transformed into an adult superhero (ZACHARY LEVI) and returned to the regular world.
There, he and Freddy test his powers that include being impervious to bullets and having the ability to fly and otherwise zip around at ultra-high-speeds. That draws the attention of Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (MARK STRONG) who similarly was transported into that mystical cave as a boy decades ago but was not chosen. Ever since then, he's been obsessed with finding a way back there and he eventually does where he manages to unleash and now control those deadly sins that appear as large monsters. Now realizing that Billy has the powers and abilities he believes should be his, Thaddeus sets out to get them from the teen who's still trying to figure out how to handle and control his new superpowers.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's a good bet many will, especially if they're into superhero stories.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of action, language, and suggestive material.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.