(2019) (Jessie Usher, Samuel L. Jackson) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action/Comedy: When one of his friends mysteriously dies, a young FBI data analyst seeks out the help of his estranged father, a former cop turned old school and streetwise private detective.
- John "JJ" Shaft (JESSIE USHER) is a young man who works for the FBI as a data analyst, something his military vet friend Karin (AVAN JOGIA) says he should lie about being an actual agent for the bureau. When Karin ends up dead from a reported heroin overdose, JJ can't believe that, something their mutual physician friend Sasha (ALEXANDRA SHIPP) says seems suspicious due to the high amount of the drug in his system.
Figuring out who his late friend's former dealer is, JJ runs afoul of that man and his goons and thus seeks out the help of his estranged father, John Shaft II (SAMUEL L. JACKSON). He hasn't seen that cop turned old school and streetwise private detective since his mother, Maya (REGINA HALL), took JJ away as an infant to raise him by herself.
Realizing he can use his son's FBI access to track down a criminal he's been after for years, John agrees to help his son, although he's sarcastically dismayed at his son having grown up into a sensitive young man unlike himself. As their ways of dealing with people clash, the father and son end up working together to investigate Karin's death. In doing so, and with the help of John's uncle, John Shaft Sr. (RICHARD ROUNDTREE), they end up uncovering a larger criminal enterprise than they were initially expecting.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those who are fans of anyone in the film might be interested in it, but since it's been 19 years since the last "Shaft" film, most kids won't be familiar with this franchise.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For pervasive language, violence, sexual content, some drug material and brief nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.