(2019) (Daniel Kaluuya, Jodie Turner-Smith) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramatic Thriller: A couple on their first date end up on the run when the man kills a cop in self-defense during a routine traffic stop.
- Earnest Hines, a.k.a. Slim (DANIEL KALUUYA), and Angela Johnson, a.k.a. Queen (JODIE TURNER-SMITH), are concluding their last-minute first date when they're pulled over by a white cop for a routine traffic stop. But the cop oversteps what he can legally do and ends up pulling his handgun on Earnest before shooting Angela in the leg when she tries to intervene. Earnest then fights with the cop and eventually grabs the gun and shoots the cop dead. Despite (or due to) being a defense lawyer, Angela tells Earnest they must flee the scene, knowing what the police and legal system will do to a black man for killing a white cop.
After kidnapping and then stealing a truck belonging to off-duty Sheriff Edgar (BENITO MARTINEZ), Angela proposes that they drive to New Orleans to see her estranged uncle, Earl (BOKEEM WOODBINE), who keeps the company of sex workers like Goddess (INDYA MOORE) and Naomi (MELANIE HALFKENNY), and might be able to help them.
He eventually sends them on their way to meet his former war buddy and that man's wife, Mr. and Mrs. Shepherd (FLEA and CHLOň SEVIGNY), and along the way they come to realize that they've become iconic hero figures in the eyes of many in the black community. That includes teenager Junior (JAHI DI'ALLO WINSTON) who's so moved by meeting them that he joins an anti-police protest.
Uncomfortable with that status and becoming an actual couple due to being stuck in their predicament, Earnest and Angela do what they can to avoid the police, all while hoping they can get to a person who will be able to fly them to the safety of Cuba.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's possible some teens might be drawn in by the plot of a black couple being iconic heroes for killing a bad cop in self-defense.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violence, some strong sexuality, nudity, pervasive language, and brief drug use.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.