(2019) (Justice Smith, voice of Ryan Reynolds) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy/Action: A young man teams up with his father's Pokémon to try to find out whether the man's detective father, who reportedly perished in a mysterious car accident, is really dead.
- Tim Goodman (JUSTICE SMITH) is a 21-year-old insurance appraiser who long ago gave up his childhood dream of being a Pokémon trainer. Some of that stems from his mother dying when he was eleven and the subsequent estrangement of his cop father who moved to Ryme City to be a detective. That high-tech metropolis -- where humans and Pokémon live side by side with the former no longer attempting to catch the latter -- was built by tech magnate Howard Clifford (BILL NIGHY) who's handed over most control of the company to his adult son, Roger (CHRIS GEERE), due to suffering from a degenerative disease.
Tim has no reason to think of that place until he receives word that his father has died in a mysterious car crash, something reiterated by Lt. Yoshida (KEN WATANABE). Upon visiting his father's apartment, Tim not only meets unpaid cable news network intern Lucy Stevens (KATHRYN NEWTON) who claims she was working on a story involving his dad at the time of his death, but also Pikachu (voice of RYAN REYNOLDS), his father's Pokémon partner. The extraordinary thing is that Tim and Pikachu can understand each other, but the latter can't remember anything about his past. Yet, since he was also reported dead, Pikachu convinces Tim that his father might be alive as well.
From that point on, and with the help of Lucy -- who's accompanied by her Psyduck Pokémon that could blow at any moment -- Tim and Pikachu try to figure out what happened to Tim's father and whether something nefarious is behind that, all while contending with a powerful and seemingly dangerous Pokémon known as Mewtwo.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into any or all things Pokémon related they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For action/peril, some rude and suggestive humor, and thematic elements.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.