(2019) (Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A couple and their friends visit a Swedish commune and discover that things are not as idyllic as they initially seem.
- It hasn't been a good year for Dani (FLORENCE PUGH). Not only did her parents and sister die in an apparent murder-suicide, but her four-year relationship with Christian (JACK REYNOR) is rocky at best. So much so that she's surprised to learn he's planning on traveling to Sweden with his friends Mark (WILL POULTER) and Josh (WILLIAM JACKSON HARPER) upon an invite from their mutual friend, Pelle (VILHELM BLOMGREN), who wants them to experience a nine-day ceremony at a remote commune.
Dani isn't disappointed that he's going, it's that he didn't tell her, and thus feeling guilty, he breaks it to his friends that she's now coming along. A few weeks later they arrive at the commune in Hårga where Pelle grew up and are eventually joined by newly engaged Simon (ARCHIE MADEKWE) and Connie (ELLORA TORCHIA). Hallucinogenic drugs run freely and both Josh and Christian decide to write their graduate school thesis on the place and its people, although the former isn't happy the latter has copied his idea.
But they and the rest end up with greater concerns and worry when the secrets behind the seemingly idyllic place start to emerge.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest, especially if they're fans of the director's previous film, "Hereditary."
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For disturbing ritualistic violence and grisly images, strong sexual content, graphic nudity, drug use and language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).