(2019) (Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A couple and their friends visit a Swedish commune and discover that things are not as idyllic as they initially seem.
- It hasn't been a good year for Dani (FLORENCE PUGH). Not only did her parents and sister die in an apparent murder-suicide, but her four-year relationship with Christian (JACK REYNOR) is rocky at best. So much so that she's surprised to learn he's planning on traveling to Sweden with his friends Mark (WILL POULTER) and Josh (WILLIAM JACKSON HARPER) upon an invite from their mutual friend, Pelle (VILHELM BLOMGREN), who wants them to experience a nine-day ceremony at a remote commune.
Dani isn't disappointed that he's going, it's that he didn't tell her, and thus feeling guilty, he breaks it to his friends that she's now coming along. A few weeks later they arrive at the commune in Hårga where Pelle grew up and are eventually joined by newly engaged Simon (ARCHIE MADEKWE) and Connie (ELLORA TORCHIA). Hallucinogenic drugs run freely and both Josh and Christian decide to write their graduate school thesis on the place and its people, although the former isn't happy the latter has copied his idea.
But they and the rest end up with greater concerns and worry when the secrets behind the seemingly idyllic place start to emerge.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest, especially if they're fans of the director's previous film, "Hereditary."
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For disturbing ritualistic violence and grisly images, strong sexual content, graphic nudity, drug use and language.