(2019) (Seth Rogen, Charlize Theron) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: As she prepares her bid to become the next President of the United States, the current Secretary of State ends up dating the man she once babysat and has since grown up into a type who's not exactly First Man material.
- Charlotte Field (CHARLIZE THERON) is the current U.S. Secretary of State who decides the time is right to run for the presidency when the current commander-in-chief, President Chambers (BOB ODENKIRK), decides he's going to return to acting rather than run for a second term. She already has two good assistants in Maggie (JUNE DIANE RAPHAEL) and Tom (RAVI PATEL) but feels her speeches need a bit more punch. Thus, after having run into the boy she used to babysit at a party, a now grown-up Fred Flarsky (SETH ROGEN), she begins to think he might be right for the job.
He's a journalist who's just quit his job following the purchase of his newspaper by right-wing media mogul Parker Wembley (ANDY SERKIS) who Charlotte must play nice to but can't stand. When Fred's good friend Lance (O'SHEA JACKSON) takes him to the party, he calls out Parker before accidentally making a spectacle of himself. Based on that and his writing, Charlotte hires him for the job, much to the dismay of Tom and Maggie.
And things go from bad to worse for them when -- despite everyone wanting Charlotte to date Canadian Prime Minister James Steward (ALEXANDER SKARSGARD) -- she begins a torrid affair with Fred, known only to a few including her bodyguard, Agent M (TRISTAN D. LALLA). From that point on, she and Fred try to make a go off that relationship, with them and everyone else fully aware that Fred isn't exactly First Man material.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens might want to, especially if they're fans of either of the leads or of R-rated comedies.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong sexual content, language throughout and some drug use.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.