(2019) (Emma Thompson, Mindy Kaling) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: A young woman is a "diversity hire" on a late-night talk show, writing monologue jokes for a female host she's long admired who turns out to be a disappointment.
- Katherine Newbury (EMMA THOMPSON) is a living TV legend, having launched a late-night talk show in 1991, won multiple Emmys, and outlasted many of her male rivals. But the show has gone stale among Millennials and Generation Z. There is no edge to her opening monologues, and her guests have been second- and third-tier for a while much to her producer Brad (DENIS O'HARE) and husband Walter's (JOHN LITHGOW) chagrin.
When Katherine gets called out for having an all-white-male writing staff, she commands Brad to hire a woman, a minority, or preferably a minority woman. Into their lives comes Molly Patel (MINDY KALING), a female, Indiana-American novice writer who has been obsessed with the show for years. She is hired on the spot, but quickly comes into conflict with the boys' club that is the show's staffers lead by head writer Tom (REID SCOTT); promiscuous funnyman Charlie (HUGH DANCY); and the old boys' club of Reynolds (JOHN EARLY), Mancuso (PAUL WALTER HAUSER), and Burditt (MAX CASELLA).
Molly is hired at a time when new network head, Constance Morton (AMY RYAN) is threatening to fire Katherine and replace her with up-and-coming comedian Daniel Tennant (IKE BARINHOLTZ). At the same time, Katherine quarrels with Molly who wants her idol to be more of a role model for women and take on more topical humor. The wheels come off when it's revealed that Katherine once had an affair with Charlie soon after Walter was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Writer and star Mindy Kaling does have older teens among her fan base.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout and some sexual references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.