<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2019) (Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart) (PG-13)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Adventure: Four friends who previously survived a trip into a video game find themselves back there again, but most now in new avatar bodies they must use to save the day before it's too late.
- Not long ago, high school students Spencer Gilpin (ALEX WOLFF), Anthony 'Fridge' Johnson (SER'DARIUS BLAIN), Martha Kaply (MORGAN TURNER) and Bethany Walker (MADISON ISEMAN) were accidentally sucked into a video game called Jumanji. With the assistance of game moderator Nigel (RHYS DARBY), pilot character Jefferson "Seaplane" McDonough (NICK JONAS) and Alex Vreeke (COLIN HANKS) -- who had been stuck in that game for decades -- they managed to complete a dangerous task that not only saved the kingdom of Jumanji, but also let them return to their normal lives.
Those students have now gone their separate ways, with Spencer suffering that separation the most, what with him and Martha having put a hold on their romantic relationship. Accordingly, and upon returning for Christmas break to visit his mother, he ends up as roommates with his uncle, Eddie Gilpin (DANNY DeVITO), who's staying there recovering from hip surgery. Missing how he felt while in the guise of his game avatar, the tall and muscle-bound Dr. Smolder Bravestone (DWAYNE JOHNSON), Eddie breaks out the game and returns to it, only to discover that he's not in Bravestone's body, but instead has ended up in burglar Ming Fleetfoot (AWKWAFINA).
Back in the real world, Martha, Fridge and Bethany are concerned that he hasn't responded to their attempts to contact him and thus go to Spencer's mom's house where they not only meet Eddie, but also his former business partner, Milo Walker (DANNY GLOVER), who's shown up out of the blue wanting to patch up their falling out from long ago. All but Bethany end up sucked into the game where Martha is the only one to get her earlier avatar, Ruby Roundhouse (KAREN GILLAN) who's proficient at martial arts.
Fridge ends up in Bethany's previous avatar, middle-aged and overweight cartographer, Professor Shelly Oberon (JACK BLACK), Eddie ends up as Bravestone, and Milo ends up in Fridge's previous avatar, the diminutive zoologist Moose Finbar (KEVIN HART). Learning from Nigel that a new villain, Jurgen the Brutal (RORY McCANN), has stolen a gem pivotal to the existence of Jumanji, the friends and their new companions try to get used to their new bodies as they set out to save the day and return to the real world before they run out of game lives.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they liked the first film they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For adventure action, suggestive content and some language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.