(2019) (Joaquin Phoenix, Frances Conroy) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramatic Thriller: An already troubled man resorts to violence when his life starts to further unravel.
- Arthur Fleck (JOAQUIN PHOENIX) is a man who lives with and cares for his ailing mom, Penny (FRANCES CONROY), in their late 1970s or early '80s Gotham apartment. An aspiring stand-up comedian who idolizes late-night TV talk show host Murray Franklin (ROBERT DE NIRO), Arthur works for a rent-a-clown business alongside coworkers such as Randall (GLENN FLESHLER) and Gary (LEIGH GILL), and thinks he might have some sort of connection with Sophie Dumond (ZAZIE BEETZ), a single mom who lives just down the hall.
But things aren't right with Arthur. Having been previously institutionalized in a psychiatric hospital and featuring a nervous tic that shows up as uncontrollable laughter, he's always on edge and must contend with disapproving looks, bullying and even being attacked. When he loses his job, he further continues to unravel and ends up killing three men who attacked him while he's dressed as a clown, thus sending already-present anti-rich sentiment in the city into full-blown protests.
That doesn't sit well with Gotham tycoon Thomas Wayne (BRETT CULLEN) who's running for mayor and who, according to Penny, will help them out -- what with her saying she worked for him long ago -- once he realizes the squalor in which they live. When that doesn't work out and now feeling alive and empowered by his act, Arthur decides violence is his recourse against those who've wronged him in any way.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's a good bet many teens will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For strong bloody violence, disturbing behavior, language and brief sexual images.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.