(2019) (Cynthia Erivo, Leslie Odom Jr.) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A runaway slave escapes to the North and her freedom, only to return repeatedly to bring back family members, friends and strangers with her.
- It's 1849 in Maryland and Araminta "Minty" Tubman (CYNTHIA ERIVO) is a slave who -- through a previous agreement -- believes she should be free, just like her husband, John (ZACKARY MOMOH), who's recently gained his freedom, with their desire being that their children will be born free.
But Minty's owner will have nothing of that, and upon his passing his widow, Eliza (JENNIFER NETTLES), and their adult son, Gideon (JOE ALWYN), likewise refuse to grant her freedom. Accordingly, when she learns she's to be sold like her sisters had been before her, Minty decides she must run away.
After saying goodbye to her remaining siblings and their parents, Rit (VANESSA BELL CALLOWAY) and Ben (CLARKE PETERS), Minty follows the instructions given to her by Rev. Green (VONDIE CURTIS-HALL) and starts off on her journey of more than one hundred miles to Pennsylvania.
Once there, she meets William Still (LESLIE ODOM JR.) who runs the Anti-Slavery Society in Philadelphia and is put up by boarding house owner Marie Buchanon (JANELLE MONAE) who gives runaway slaves a place to live.
Not surprisingly, Gideon isn't pleased with the development or news that Minty -- who's since renamed herself Harriet -- has now been sneaking back down south to rescue other slaves. Accordingly, he hires African-American trackers Bigger Long (OMAR J. DORSEY) and Walter (HENRY HUNTER HALL) to find and return her back to him so that he put her back into slavery.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Some teens might be interested, especially if they're drawn to the real-life story.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic content throughout, violent material and language including racial epithets.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) Take advantage of our Black Friday Membership Sale for a one-year membership,and save $10 off our regular price ($47), AND get 2 EXTRA MONTHS FREE (a Total Savings of more than 32%)! This offer happens only ONCE A YEAR and is only good NOW until midnight, Monday November 30, so don't wait!
You'll get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.