(2019) (Florence Pugh, Jack Lowden) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: The true story of Paige, who was raised in a quirky, yet tight-knit wrestling family in small-town England and rose to fame as a WWE Divas superstar.
- Siblings Saraya Knight (FLORENCE PUGH) and Zak Knight (JACK LOWDEN) have been wrestling together since they were very young children. Their dad, Ricky Knight (NICK FROST), has been their teacher, running a small wrestling school and fight venue in small-town England with wife and mom, Julia Knight (LENA HEADEY). They barely skate by, and Ricky -- a recovering alcoholic and former convicted felon -- is always debating whether or not he should revert back to a life of crime.
Then one day, their prayers are seemingly answered when WWE promoter Hutch (VINCE VAUGHN) calls up and invites Saraya and Zak to try out for a spot on NXT, WWE's farm system for its main roster. Saraya makes the cut, and Zak does not. Saraya, age 18, has a difficult time fitting into the WWE's training program in sunny, distant Florida. Alone and on her own for the first time, she flounders against her main competition -- a trio of former cheerleaders and models named Maddison (ELLIE GONSALVES), Kirsten (AQUEELA ZOLL), and Jeri-Lynn (KIM MATULA) -- who she believes were brought in for their T&A appeal and not their wrestling skills. Meanwhile, Zak flounders back in England as a new father dealing with feelings of failure that his lifelong dream will not come true (and, even worse, was stolen by his sister).
Along the way, Saraya does get encouragement from WWE legend Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson (HIMSELF) and a trip home gives her the motivation and gumption to return and compete for a spot on the big stage. Eventually, having renamed herself Paige, she is given a shot against current WWE Divas champion AJ Lee (THEA TRINIDAD).
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens, especially those who follow pro wrestling, may be attracted to its ring action, PG-13 rating, and young leads.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For crude and sexual material, language throughout, some violence, and drug content.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.