(2019) (Isabela Moner, Eugenio Derbez) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Adventure: A teenager who's spent her life on expeditions with her explorer parents is sent to live with her extended family in Los Angeles, but is thrust back into the jungle with her new city friends searching for treasure.
- Dora (ISABELA MONER) is a teenage girl who has spent her whole life on expeditions with her explorer parents, (MICHAEL PENA, EVA LONGORIA) and best monkey friend, Boots (voice of DANNY TREJO). But when mom and dad are about to undertake a particularly dangerous mission, they send Dora to live with her extended family in Los Angeles and go to school with other kids for the first time.
While Dora is delighted to reunite with her cousin, Diego (JEFF WAHLBERG), who she used to share her South American jungle adventures with as a child, she immediately feels the effects of culture clash in the States. No one likes to sing and make up songs in her high school or think positively or learn about ancient cultures. On her first day, she draws the wrath of honor roll student Sammy (MADELEINE MADDEN) and the schoolboy crush of nerdy classmate Randy (NICHOLAS COOMBE).
On a field trip to a local history museum, a group of mercenaries led by Powell (TEMUERA MORRISON), and a sneaky orange fox named Swiper (voice of BENICIO DEL TORO) kidnap Dora, Diego, Sammy, and Randy to force Dora into helping them find a fabled lost city of gold that her parents have been looking for. They are rescued by Alejandro (EUGENIO DERBEZ), a colleague of Dora's mom and dad who may not be what he seems.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Kids, tweens, and teens who are either fans of the "Dora the Explorer" cartoon or who grew up with it will be attracted to the film's concept, young cast, and PG action.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some action and impolite humor.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.