(2019) (Ewan McGregor, Rebecca Ferguson) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A man who survived supernatural phenomena as a child meets a girl who has psychic powers just like him, and they must use those against a quasi-immortal clan that wants to kill them for their powers.
- When he was 5-years-old, Danny Torrance (EWAN McGREGOR) and his mother managed to survive supernatural phenomena at the remote Overlook Hotel where their father took a caretaker job only to lose his mind and tried to kill them. With the help of the spirit of that hotel's former chef, Dick Hallorann (CARL LUMBLY), who had similar psychic "shining" abilities like the boy, Danny managed to place the hotel's resident ghosts in mental boxes inside his head. Even so, and likely suffering from PTSD, Dan has grown up into a troubled alcoholic.
When he ends up in the small New Hampshire town of Frazier, a stranger, Billy Freeman (CLIFF CURTIS), takes Dan to an AA meeting and he gets his life in order, including working at the local hospice where he's earned the nickname "Doctor Sleep" for psychically reassuring dying patients that things are going to be okay.
But they don't stay that way for Dan as a young girl with powers like his, Abra Stone (KYLEIGH CURRAN), contacts him through a blackboard on a wall in his rented loft. That comes to a head when she has a vision of a quasi-immortal woman, Rose the Hat (REBECCA FERGUSON), and her small clan of vampiresque followers -- including Crow Daddy (ZAHN McCLARNON) and the newly recruited Snakebite Andi (EMILY ALYN LIND) -- killing a young boy, all to extract and consume his shining power.
With Rose the Hat sensing Abra's presence, Dan realizes the woman will probably come for the girl and thus him, all of which means a return trip to the Overlook Hotel might be the only way to deal with the perilous situation.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of "The Shining" (in book or movie form) they probably will, while horror movie fans in general will likely be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For disturbing and violent content, some bloody images, language, nudity and drug use.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.