(2019) (Sophie Turner, James McAvoy) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi/Action: A group of mutants must contend with their most dangerous enemy being one of their own.
- It's 1992, and for the first time, possibly ever, things are looking good for mutants in America, thanks to the heroic work of the X-Men. In fact, their leader, telepath Charles Xavier (JAMES McAVOY), even has a direct phone hotline to the President of the United States, and thus when a Space Shuttle mission ends up in jeopardy, the mutant superheroes are called into action to save the crew. They do, but nearly at the expense of telepath Jean Grey (SOPHIE TURNER) who ends up absorbing a great deal of space energy in the process.
She seems fine, but her powers -- that include telekinesis -- are now off the charts, worrying Hank McCoy (NICHOLAS HOULT), a.k.a. the Beast, who's run her medicals, as well as her boyfriend, Scott Summers (TYE SHERIDAN), a.k.a. Cyclops. And Charles' need for X-Men heroics has grown quite worrisome to Shape-shifter Raven (JENNIFER LAWRENCE). All of that comes to a head when Jean's powers continue strengthening, coupled with her discovery that Charles previously built mental walls in her head to protect her from a traumatic past.
Things get worse when a number of extraterrestrials --who've taken human form and are led by Smith (JESSICA CHASTAIN) -- arrive and want Jean's powers. And they're not the only ones looking for her. Due to those powers resulting in the accidental death of one of the X-Men, Hank seeks out Magneto, a.k.a. Erik Lehnsherr (MICHAEL FASSBENDER), to help him find and kill Jean before she does more damage. In response to that, teleporter Kurt Wagner (KODI SMIT-McPHEE), a.k.a. Nightcrawler, weather master Ororo Munroe (ALEXANDRA SHIPP), a.k.a. Storm, and Peter Maximoff (EVAN PETERS), a.k.a. Quicksilver, join Charles and Scott in trying to stop them as well as the aliens.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of any/all of the previous "X-Men" movies, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action including some gunplay, disturbing images, and brief strong language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.