(2019) (Francesca Hayward, Idris Elba) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Musical: A number of anthropomorphic cats compete to see who will be granted a new feline life.
- In London there exists a tribe of anthropomorphic cats known as Jellicles that possess both feline and human characteristics, including the ability to speak. Once a year they get together where one such cat is chosen to ascend to the Heaviside Layer and return as a new feline. New to observe all of this is outsider cat Victoria (FRANCESCA HAYWARD) who's unceremoniously dumped among the Jellicles, with one of them, Munkustrap (ROBBIE FAIRCHILD), deciding to introduce her to the rest.
There's lazy housecat Jennyanydots (REBEL WILSON) who's taught mice, cockroaches and more to perform song and dance numbers for her, while fat cat Bustopher Jones (JAMES CORDEN) enjoys raiding the local trash cans for a feast. Rum Tum Tugger (JASON DERULO) is the most flamboyant of the bunch, even more so than magician cat Mr. Mistoffelees (LAURIE DAVIDSON), while Rumpleteazer (NAOIMH MORGAN) and Mungojerrie (DANNY COLLINS) are cat burglars and Gus The Theatre Cat (IAN McKELLEN) is, natch, the feline that inhabits the local theater.
It's there that the old and wise Jellicle leader, Old Deuteronomy (JUDI DENCH), will select the cat to make the ascension to a new life. While everyone gets their one song and dance number in the competition, Victoria thinks it should be the once glamorous but now outcast Grizabella (JENNIFER HUDSON) who fell out of favor with the rest for siding in the past with the criminal Macavity (IDRIS ELBA). He's intent on winning the competition, and with the help of Bombalurina (TAYLOR SWIFT) and barge cat Growltiger (RAY WINSTONE) he begins cat-napping the various competitors to ensure he's the one chosen.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Those who like the stage musical will likely want to see it, while the presence of Taylor Swift might draw in some of her fans.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some rude and suggestive humor.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.