(2019) (Chrissy Metz, Topher Grace) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A mother's prayers bring her 14-year-old son back to life after he plunges into an icy lake and has no heartbeat for nearly 45 minutes.
- John Smith (MARCEL RUIZ) is a 14-year-old kid growing up in St. Charles, Missouri with his parents, Joyce (CHRISSY METZ) and Brian (JOSH LUCAS). Like many a teenager, he's occasionally aloof to them and defiant of his teachers and even his basketball coach, some of which likely stems from him being adopted and embarrassed about his perceived stigma of that.
But all of that changes when he and two friends are out playing on a frozen lake when the ice gives way and they all plunge into the freezing water. Responding emergency personnel manage to get the two other boys, but it takes a while before fireman Tommy Shine (MIKE COLTER) and his partner find John and pull his unresponsive body from beneath the surface. Rushed to the ER, Dr. Sutterer (SAM TRAMMELL) and his staff try to revive the teen, but eventually realize he's been without a heartbeat for too long and declare him dead. Joyce isn't about to give up, however, and prays to God to save her boy and just then the monitors pick up a heartbeat.
John is then transferred to a children's hospital where world-renowned specialist Dr. Garrett (DENNIS HAYSBERT) gives his parents the bad news that the teen isn't likely going to survive the night and if he does, he'll likely have suffered irreversible brain and other organ damage. Undeterred, Joyce keeps the faith, although she continues to clash with her church's relatively new leader, Pastor Jason Noble (TOPHER GRACE), who she hasn't liked from the get-go.
As the hours pass by, and with Brian unable to see his son that way and not seeing any possible good outcome, it's up to Joyce, Jason, and the community to keep the faith and hope for a miracle.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's possible some might show some interest, but I can't imagine this being big among kids.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic content including peril.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.