(2019) (Rosa Salazar, Christoph Waltz) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: A centuries-old cyborg must use her battle skills to protect herself and those she cares for from others who want her captured or killed, all while trying to remember her past.
- It's the year 2563, some three-hundred years after "The Fall." Most of the people live in the crowded Iron City and dream of one day being able to ascend to Zalem, the sky city that hovers above the land and where life is reportedly much better. One such person is Hugo (KEEAN JOHNSON), a young man who, along with his friend Tanji (JORGE LENDEBORG JR.) and others, forcibly removes robotic limbs from cyborgs and sells them to Vector (MAHERSHALA ALI). He runs a popular sports enterprise known as Motorball where the competitors benefit from such upgrades to their limbs and other operating parts thanks to the work of Chiren (JENNIFER CONNELLY).
She's the ex-wife of Dr. Dyson Ido (CHRISTOPH WALTZ), a scientific inventor who does the same for normal people and is enticed upon finding the head and upper torso of a young female cyborg. Outfitting her with the robotic body he and Chiren had developed for their late daughter, Dyson names his find Alita (ROSA SALAZAR). Both of them quickly learn, however, that she's much, much older than she looks and has a military background, but can't remember any of that.
She and Hugo become pals and then more, but her existence and abilities draw the unwelcome attention of others who either want her captured or killed, including the likes of cyborg bounty hunter Zapan (ED SKREIN) and the hulking cyborg Grewishka (JACKIE EARLE HALEY). As Alita's fighting skills come into full light, she must put them to use to defend herself and those she cares for, all while trying to figure out her past and her new place in this world.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- The advertising showing the sci-fi action might be enticing to a number of kids.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and for some language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.