(2019) (Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Musical: A common street thief uses wishes from a magic genie in hopes of getting a princess to fall for him.
- In the long-ago city of Agrabah, Aladdin (MENA MASSOUD) is a common street thief who, along with his pet monkey Abu, steals to stay alive. He always manages to elude the palace guards who try to catch him, and manages to impress Princess Jasmine (NAOMI SCOTT) upon their chance meeting. She's ventured out into the city pretending to be her handmaiden, Dalia (NASIM PEDRAD), and isn't recognized by the masses due to being unseen for years.
That's because her widowed father, the Sultan (NAVID NEGAHBAN), wants to protect her until he finds a proper prince suitor to marry her. That doesn't sit well with her, what with wanting to eventually take over for her father, something both he and his Royal Vizier, Jafar (MARWAN KENZARI), remind her is against their long-standing laws. But Jafar has ulterior motives in that he wishes to become the Sultan and knows that a magic lamp located in the Cave of Wonders can make that happen.
The only problem is that so far no one has been nimble and smart enough to abide by the rules of the cave, but he thinks he might have found the right person in Aladdin. With Jafar promising to make him rich enough to impress Jasmine in exchange for him obtaining the lamp, Aladdin enters the cave and through a series of events ends up trapped inside there with Abu, a magic carpet they've rescued and Genie (WILL SMITH) who emerges from the lamp.
With Genie informing Aladdin he can grant him three wishes, Aladdin hopes to use them to impress Jasmine enough that she'll fall for and maybe marry him, but must then contend with Jafar wanting to get his hands on that lamp to get his own set of wishes.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's hard to say as this is a live-action rather than animated version like the 1992 predecessor.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some action/peril.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.