(2019) (Kathryn Prescott, Henry Lau) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A dog's soul ends up reincarnated multiple times over the years as it attempts to follow its previous owner's command that it protect his grandchild.
- Following the events of "A Dog's Purpose," Gloria (BETTY GILPIN) is living with her late husband's mom, Hannah (MARG HELGENBERGER), and that woman's new husband, Ethan (DENNIS QUAID), with all helping raise Gloria's little girl, CJ, who was born after her father's death. Along for the ride is Bailey (voice of JOSH GAD, but only heard by viewers and not any human characters), Ethan's trusty dog who just so happens to be the many times over reincarnated soul of his dog from his boyhood many decades earlier and who helped reunite Ethan and Hannah after many years apart.
But things aren't great at the farmhouse, with Gloria thinking that her in-laws believe she's a bad mother and that they're after her late husband's wrongful death case settlement money (they're not). Accordingly, she takes her toddler and moves away, with Ethan telling his beloved dog on its deathbed to protect CJ in its upcoming lives.
Flash forward a number of years and CJ (ABBY RYDER FORTSON) is 11-years-old and best friends with Trent (IAN CHEN). With Gloria emotionally and often physically absent while going out on various dates, CJ sneaks a young puppy into her bedroom. We come to learn that Molly is really Bailey reincarnated and the two become inseparable.
A few years later, CJ (KATHRYN PRESCOTT) is an aspiring singer-songwriter but hasn't gotten up the nerve to perform anywhere in public, much to the chagrin of Trent (HENRY LAU). She starts dating Shane (JAKE MANLEY), but that ends up going badly and, as a result of his actions, Bailey/Molly ends up being reborn into another dog that has a brief interaction with CJ years later, but passes away and is then reincarnated as little Max who once again finds his way to CJ.
At that point, she is living with her boyfriend, Barry (KEVIN CLAYDON), while Trent has moved nearby with his girlfriend, Liesl (DANIELA BARBOSA). From that point on, CJ must contend with not having any contact with her mom for years along with unexpected developments in her and Trent's personal lives, all while Bailey/Max does what he can to follow Ethan's command from long ago to protect CJ.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they liked "A Dog's Purpose" or want to see dogs in movies, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic content, some peril and rude humor.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.