(2019) (Matthew Rhys, Tom Hanks) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A hard-edged investigative journalist begrudgingly begins working on an article about a famous children's TV show host, only to find his life changed by his interactions with the pleasant and mild-mannered man.
- It's 1998 and Esquire Magazine investigative journalist Lloyd Vogel (MATTHEW RHYS) lives in New York with his wife, Andrea (SUSAN KELECHI WATSON), and their young son. Lloyd's sister, Lorraine (TAMMY BLANCHARD), is getting married yet once again, and Lloyd is thinking of skipping the event, mainly because his long-estranged father, Jerry (CHRIS COOPER), will be there with his wife, Dorothy (WENDY MAKKENA). Lloyd ends up attending, but ultimately gets into an argument with his dad and punches him in the face before someone else punches him in the face.
All of which -- along with his hard-nosed journalistic edge -- would make him seem the last person chosen to interview Fred Rogers (TOM HANKS) of "Mister Rogers Neighborhood" TV fame, but his editor insists and would like a four-hundred-word story on the man. Lloyd reluctantly heads off to Pittsburg but is instantly intrigued by Fred who appears just as nice in person as he does on the show, all of which, of course, arouses his suspicions that there's more than meets the eye.
But as Lloyd continues meeting Fred, he comes to realize the children's TV show host is exactly as advertised, all while Fred tries to help the journalist change his outlook not only about his father, but also life in general.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- It's possible younger ones who are into the children's TV show "Mister Rogers Neighborhood" might be interested, as might any who are older and grew up on reruns of that.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some strong thematic material, a brief fight, and some mild language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.