(2018) (Richie Merritt, Matthew McConaughey) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: In 1980s Detroit, a teenager goes from being a low-level street hustler to an FBI informant to a drug kingpin all before he can legally drink and vote.
- Richard "Rick" Wershe Jr. (MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY) is an optimistic, single father trying to raise a delinquent teenage son, Ricky (RICHIE MERRITT), and a drug-addicted teenage daughter, Dawn (BEL POWLEY) in 1980s Detroit. His dream is to open a video-rental store, which he hopes to finance by illegally selling guns that he's modified himself, and support his kids and ailing parents, Ray (BRUCE DERN) and Verna (PIPER LAURIE).
Ricky, though, has more of the entrepreneurial flair and street-level connections. He makes the first arms deal with local drug lord Johnny "Lil Man" Curry (JONATHAN MAJORS). Soon, he is welcomed into Johnny's inner circle where he makes friends with another teenage boy named Boo (RJ CYLER) and becomes attracted to Johnny's new wife, Cathy (TAYLOUR PAIGE).
But because of his father's ineptitude as an arms dealer, Ricky becomes an easy target for FBI agents Snyder (JENNIFER JASON LEIGH) and Byrd (RORY COCHRANE) to flip and turn informant. Detroit Police Detective Jackson (BRIAN TYREE HENRY) also gets involved and sets Ricky up to become a rising drug dealer. Ricky finds that he's good at it and can support his family in a way he once only dreamed. But he soon becomes part of a plot to ensnare Detroit's mayor for his connections to Johnny and his crime ring, and things start to unravel.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens may be attracted because of its teenage lead and the R-rated content.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, drug content, violence, some sexual references, and brief nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.