<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2018) (Richie Merritt, Matthew McConaughey) (R)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: In 1980s Detroit, a teenager goes from being a low-level street hustler to an FBI informant to a drug kingpin all before he can legally drink and vote.
- Richard "Rick" Wershe Jr. (MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY) is an optimistic, single father trying to raise a delinquent teenage son, Ricky (RICHIE MERRITT), and a drug-addicted teenage daughter, Dawn (BEL POWLEY) in 1980s Detroit. His dream is to open a video-rental store, which he hopes to finance by illegally selling guns that he's modified himself, and support his kids and ailing parents, Ray (BRUCE DERN) and Verna (PIPER LAURIE).
Ricky, though, has more of the entrepreneurial flair and street-level connections. He makes the first arms deal with local drug lord Johnny "Lil Man" Curry (JONATHAN MAJORS). Soon, he is welcomed into Johnny's inner circle where he makes friends with another teenage boy named Boo (RJ CYLER) and becomes attracted to Johnny's new wife, Cathy (TAYLOUR PAIGE).
But because of his father's ineptitude as an arms dealer, Ricky becomes an easy target for FBI agents Snyder (JENNIFER JASON LEIGH) and Byrd (RORY COCHRANE) to flip and turn informant. Detroit Police Detective Jackson (BRIAN TYREE HENRY) also gets involved and sets Ricky up to become a rising drug dealer. Ricky finds that he's good at it and can support his family in a way he once only dreamed. But he soon becomes part of a plot to ensnare Detroit's mayor for his connections to Johnny and his crime ring, and things start to unravel.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens may be attracted because of its teenage lead and the R-rated content.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, drug content, violence, some sexual references, and brief nudity.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.