(2018) (Samuel Hunt, Merrit Patterson) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: Following his release from a WWII Japanese POW camp, an American GI must contend with his PTSD related to his former captor and subsequent alcoholism, all of which puts a strain on his marriage.
- While former Olympic runner Louis Zamperini (SAMUEL HUNT) is happy to return to the States and his family -- including older brother Pete (BOBBY CAMPO) --after being freed from a Japanese POW camp at the end of WWII, he discovers that the war won't leave him alone. He has repeated flashbacks and hallucinations featuring his former brutal captor, Mutsuhiro "The Bird" Watanabe (DAVID SAKURAI), and thus takes to the bottle to try to deal with those.
On a happier side, he's met and then married Cynthia Applewhite (MERRIT PATTERSON) and they have a daughter, but as the troubling memories and images still haunt him and as he can't find work, his drinking increases, thus putting an ever-increasing strain on his marriage and family life. All to the point that Cynthia threatens to leave him if he doesn't do something -- even if it's just to attend a revival put on by Billy Graham (WILL GRAHAM) -- but Louis wants no part of him due to believing that God has abandoned him. From that point on, it might just take divine intervention to save him and his marriage.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're interested in the real-life story behind the film or are drawn in by the religion angle, it doesn't seem too likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For thematic content and related disturbing images.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.