(2018) (Ike Barinholtz, Tiffany Haddish) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramedy: Members of a family argue about politics over Thanksgiving including a patriotism oath everyone in the country is supposed to sign.
- Chris Powell (IKE BARINHOLTZ) is a forty-something bleeding heart white liberal who's married to an African-American woman, Kai (TIFFANY HADDISH), with whom they have a daughter, Hardy (PRIAH FERGUSON). An avid news watcher, Chris has become increasingly agitated by how things are progressing in America, with the latest outrage coming from all citizens having been asked to sign a Patriot Oath and do so by around the time Thanksgiving rolls around. It's voluntary, but certain bad things are implied if one doesn't comply, including possible repercussions from the Citizen's Protective Unit (CPU).
In Chris' mind, this is anti-American and Kai agrees, but wants him to tamp down his anger over the holiday, what with his family showing up, knowing full well they don't all share the same political beliefs. Besides his parents -- Hank (CHRIS ELLIS) and Eleanor (NORA DUNN) -- there's Chris' conservative brother, Pat (JON BARINHOLTZ), and his new even more right-wing girlfriend, Abbie (MEREDITH HAGNER). Chris' fellow left-leaning sister, Alice (CARRIE BROWNSTEIN), shows up with her kids and flu-stricken husband, Clark (JAY DUPLASS), and it's not long before the discussion turns to politics and specifically the Oath.
Things become tenser when two members of the CPU -- hothead Mason (BILLY MAGNUSSEN) and more diplomatic Peter (JOHN CHO) -- show up and want to speak to Chris, even though he hasn't done anything illegal. They refuse to leave unless he signs the Oath or comes with them, both of which he refuses. From that point on, it's uncertain how things are going to play out and whether the family will remain splintered or come together to deal with this outside threat.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might show some interest, especially if they're fans of anyone in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, violence and some drug use.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.