(2018) (Demian Bichir, Taissa Farmiga) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A seasoned priest, a nun-in-training and a local man must contend with supernatural occurrences in a foreboding abbey where they try to learn the reason why another nun has recently hung herself.
- It's 1952 and a nun has seemingly committed suicide at an abbey deep in Romania. The Vatican, however, is concerned there's something more sinister going on there and thus send Father Burke (DEMIAN BICHIR) to investigate, informing him that he must bring along young Sister Irene (TAISSA FARMIGA) -- who's yet to take her final vows -- with him. Upon arriving there, they meet up with a French-Canadian man known as Frenchie (JONAS BLOQUET) who originally found the nun's body and informs the outsiders of how the locals view what's happening at the abbey as nothing short of pure evil.
Undeterred, the trio sets out for the former castle and begins poking around, with the first troubling matter being that the dead nun's body isn't how Frenchie left it in the ice house where he usually makes his deliveries. They also spot a handful of nuns, but only speak to a fully cloaked older woman who informs them they can't talk to any of those women until the following day. Frenchie leaves and has a harrowing experience out in the woods that night, while Sister Irene -- who's been having confusing visions -- and Father Burke -- who's still haunted by the death of a boy on whom he tried to perform an exorcism in the past -- also have supernatural run-ins.
Hoping to figure out why the nun hung herself, the seasoned priest and green novitiate must contend with such repeated occurrences, all while searching for the root cause of all the evil that lurks about inside the abbey.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into horror movies and particularly those in the "Conjuring" movie universe, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For terror, violence, and disturbing/bloody images.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.