<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2018) (Demian Bichir, Taissa Farmiga) (R)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Horror: A seasoned priest, a nun-in-training and a local man must contend with supernatural occurrences in a foreboding abbey where they try to learn the reason why another nun has recently hung herself.
- It's 1952 and a nun has seemingly committed suicide at an abbey deep in Romania. The Vatican, however, is concerned there's something more sinister going on there and thus send Father Burke (DEMIAN BICHIR) to investigate, informing him that he must bring along young Sister Irene (TAISSA FARMIGA) -- who's yet to take her final vows -- with him. Upon arriving there, they meet up with a French-Canadian man known as Frenchie (JONAS BLOQUET) who originally found the nun's body and informs the outsiders of how the locals view what's happening at the abbey as nothing short of pure evil.
Undeterred, the trio sets out for the former castle and begins poking around, with the first troubling matter being that the dead nun's body isn't how Frenchie left it in the ice house where he usually makes his deliveries. They also spot a handful of nuns, but only speak to a fully cloaked older woman who informs them they can't talk to any of those women until the following day. Frenchie leaves and has a harrowing experience out in the woods that night, while Sister Irene -- who's been having confusing visions -- and Father Burke -- who's still haunted by the death of a boy on whom he tried to perform an exorcism in the past -- also have supernatural run-ins.
Hoping to figure out why the nun hung herself, the seasoned priest and green novitiate must contend with such repeated occurrences, all while searching for the root cause of all the evil that lurks about inside the abbey.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into horror movies and particularly those in the "Conjuring" movie universe, they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For terror, violence, and disturbing/bloody images.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.