(2018) (Owen Vaccaro, Jack Black) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Fantasy/Horror: A 10-year-old boy goes to live with his uncle and must contend with odd things happening in his house as well as the aftermath of being taught how to use magic.
- It's 1955 and 10-year-old Lewis Barnavelt (OWEN VACCARO), orphaned by the death of his parents in a car accident, has arrived in the town of New Zebedee, Michigan to live with his uncle, Jonathan Barnavelt (JACK BLACK), who's long been estranged from the family.
Jonathan's house is somewhat creepy looking from the outside, and weird things seem to happen at night. All of which makes Lewis pay heed to rumors told to him by new classmate Tarby (SUNNY SULJIC) that the place is known as the Slaughter House due to ax murders that have taken place within its walls.
That's not true, but its former occupants -- the deceased Isaac Izard (KYLE MacLACHLAN) and the long-missing Selena (RENEE ELISE GOLDSBERRY) -- apparently hid a magic clock somewhere in the walls, and its constant nocturnal sounds are about to drive Jonathan crazy. And that's despite him being a warlock and his next-door neighbor, Florence Zimmerman (CATE BLANCHETT), being a witch.
As Jonathan eventually gives in to Lewis' requests to teach him magic, they and Florence eventually come to realize what Isaac and Selena were really up to as well as the potentially devastating ramifications of their plan.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Younger ones might, especially since the protagonist is a kid.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For thematic elements including sorcery, some action, scary images, rude humor and language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.