(2018) (Claire Foy, Lakeith Stanfield) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramatic Thriller: A young vigilante must contend with various people coming after her following her hacking-based theft of a top-secret military program.
- Lisbeth Salander (CLAIRE FOY) is a young computer hacker who moonlights as a vigilante dispensing justice against men who've wronged women, likely stemming from her tumultuous upbringing alongside her sister, Camilla (SYLVIA HOEKS), at the hands of their abusive father. She ends up contacted by computer programmer Frans Balder (STEPHEN MERCHANT) who wants her to steal a top-secret military program he sold to the U.S. government and now wants back because of its potential to be misused. She manages to do so, even as NSA agent Edwin Needham (LAKEITH STANFIELD) discovers her hack and unsuccessfully tries to shut it down before the files are gone.
While Edwin is showing up in Stockholm and then being arrested by Swedish intelligence director Gabriella Grane (SYNNOVE MACODY LUND) who doesn't want foreign government operatives working in her country, Lisbeth survives an attack where her laptop with the program is stolen. She then turns to journalist Mikael Blomkvist (SVERRIR GUDNASON) -- with whom she's had a past relationship - to identify those responsible, all while she seeks out Frans, only to unintentionally end up in custody of his young son, August (CHRISTOPHER CONVERY).
From that point on, and with the help of fellow hacker Plague (CAMERON BRITTON), Lisbeth tries to figure out who's stolen the program, learn what their intentions are, and then stop them.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the original novels, any of the previous film versions and/or anyone in the cast, they might show some interest (most likely older teens at best).
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violence, language and some sexual content/nudity.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.