(2018) (Claire Foy, Lakeith Stanfield) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Dramatic Thriller: A young vigilante must contend with various people coming after her following her hacking-based theft of a top-secret military program.
- Lisbeth Salander (CLAIRE FOY) is a young computer hacker who moonlights as a vigilante dispensing justice against men who've wronged women, likely stemming from her tumultuous upbringing alongside her sister, Camilla (SYLVIA HOEKS), at the hands of their abusive father. She ends up contacted by computer programmer Frans Balder (STEPHEN MERCHANT) who wants her to steal a top-secret military program he sold to the U.S. government and now wants back because of its potential to be misused. She manages to do so, even as NSA agent Edwin Needham (LAKEITH STANFIELD) discovers her hack and unsuccessfully tries to shut it down before the files are gone.
While Edwin is showing up in Stockholm and then being arrested by Swedish intelligence director Gabriella Grane (SYNNOVE MACODY LUND) who doesn't want foreign government operatives working in her country, Lisbeth survives an attack where her laptop with the program is stolen. She then turns to journalist Mikael Blomkvist (SVERRIR GUDNASON) -- with whom she's had a past relationship - to identify those responsible, all while she seeks out Frans, only to unintentionally end up in custody of his young son, August (CHRISTOPHER CONVERY).
From that point on, and with the help of fellow hacker Plague (CAMERON BRITTON), Lisbeth tries to figure out who's stolen the program, learn what their intentions are, and then stop them.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're fans of the original novels, any of the previous film versions and/or anyone in the cast, they might show some interest (most likely older teens at best).
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violence, language and some sexual content/nudity.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.