(2019) (John C. Reilly, Steve Coogan) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: Long after their heyday in Hollywood, two once-legendary comedians perform their act on a tour of parts of Great Britain.
- It's 1953 and the Hollywood heyday of the comedy duo of Stan Laurel (STEVE COOGAN) and Oliver Hardy (JOHN C. REILLY) is long in the past. Yet, they're still working, and with them planning on making a spoof movie based on Robin Hood, they embark on a tour of parts of Great Britain arranged by local promoter Bernard Delfont (RUFUS JONES) to raise their profile and make some money along the way. But they end up playing barely filled venues and wonder if anyone cares about them anymore.
Of course, their wives -- Lucille Hardy (SHIRLEY HENDERSON) and Ida Laurel (NINA ARIANDA) -- do and eventually join them on the tour, but the less than enthusiastic response to their tour makes them question continuing their endeavor. And it brings up old wounds in that Oliver -- still under contract sixteen years earlier to studio head Hal Roach (DANNY HUSTON) while Stan was free -- ended up being paired with a replacement partner. That and Oliver's failing health means the last hurrah of the once legendary comedy duo could be coming soon.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of someone in the cast -- or the comedy duo of Laurel and Hardy -- it doesn't seem that likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some language, and for smoking.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2018 Screen It, Inc.