(2018) (voices of Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Animated Superhero Action: A teen must not only contend with accidentally becoming the next Spider-Man, but also with other varied versions of Spider-Man showing up via a dimensional portal.
- Miles Morales (voice of SHAMEIK MOORE) is a young teenager growing up in Brooklyn with his African-American cop dad, Jefferson (voice of BRIAN TYREE HENRY), and Puerto Rican nurse mom, Rio (voice of LUNA LAUREN VELEZ) who enjoys spending time with his Uncle Aaron (voice of MAHERSHALA ALI). But during one such outing down in the bowels of the subway system, a radioactive spider bites Miles who initially thinks nothing of that. But the next day things have literally and figuratively gotten sticky for him, such as when he tries to impress his classmate, Gwen Stacy (voice of HAILEE STEINFELD), but gets his hand stuck in her hair.
When he eventually realizes what's happened, he returns to the scene of the initial bite, only to view Spider-Man (voice of JAKE JOHNSON) battling both an enormous Green Goblin and another villain known as Prowler (voice of MAHERSHALA ALI). Both are working for top villain Kingpin (voice of LIEV SCHREIBER) who's attempting to open a portal into other dimensions via an enormous collider he's had built. He ends up killing Spider-Man, and thus Miles is shocked not long after that to run into the web-slinger again, albeit older, paunchier and more than a bit disillusioned, what with always getting beaten up and having been divorced by Mary Jane (voice of ZOE KRAVITZ).
It turns out another version of Spidey -- we'll call him Spider-Man 2 -- got sucked from his dimension into Miles' and he becomes the young superhero's reluctant mentor of sorts. But he's not the only alternate version of Spider-Man to travel through that dimensional portal.
Among others are Spider-Woman (HAILEE STEINFELD); porker Spider-Ham (voice of JOHN MULANEY); anime superhero Peni Parker (voice of KIMIKO GLENN); and the black and white, 1930s style Spider-Man Noir (voice of NICOLAS CAGE). With Kingpin now also employing Doc Ock (voice of KATHRYN HAHN) for his dimensional portal plan, it's up to the various Spider-Man characters to stop him, all while Miles tries to figure out how to get all of them back to their various dimensions.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For frenetic sequences of animated action violence, thematic elements, and mild language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.