(2018) (voices of Logan Lerman, Gerard Depardieu) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A dog accompanies American soldiers as they travel to France to fight the Germans in WWI.
- It's 1917 and America has recently enteredWWI, and thus many young men are training all across the country for deployment. That includes Robert Conroy (voice of LOGAN LERMAN) who's stationed in New Haven, Connecticut alongside the likes of Olsen (voice of JORDAN BECK), Schroeder (voice of JIM PHARR) and other young men under the command of Sgt. Cashburn (voice of JASON EZZELL).
When Robert ends up tossing a cookie to a stray terrier during a military march, he unexpectedly finds himself a companion, and seeing how well-trained the dog is -- including the ability to salute with his paw -- both Cashburn and later Colonel Ty (JIM PHARR) allow the dog -- now named Stubby -- to stay with the infantry regiment.
When they're shipped out for France, Robert doesn't expect to see Stubby again, but the dog manages to free himself, get to the shipyard, and board the ship. He ends up joining the young men in trench warfare in early 1918 and finds another supporter in French chef turned soldier Gaston Baptiste (voice of GERARD DEPARDIEU) who also becomes Robert's close friend.
As the war rages on, Stubby helps out the troops in numerous ways, all as recounted after the fact by Robert's never seen but occasionally heard sister, Margaret (voice of HELENA BONHAM CARTER), who learned of the dog's exploits via letters from her brother.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- The dog angle and the fact that the film is computer-animated might draw in some younger kids.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For war action and some thematic elements.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.