<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2018) (Charlie Hunnam, Rami Malek) (R)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: After being framed for a murder he didn't commit, a 1930s era safecracker attempts to escape from the notorious French Guiana prison where he's been sent.
- It's the 1930s and Henri 'Papillon' Charrière (CHARLIE HUNNAM) is a safecracker operating in Paris for a mobster. When he keeps a few stolen diamonds for his girlfriend, that mobster has Papillon framed for a murder he didn't commit. With no way to prove his innocence, his sentence results in him being shipped off to a prison in French Guiana.
There, Warden Barrot (YORICK VAN WAGENINGEN) informs him and the rest of the new inmates -- that includes counterfeiter Louis Dega (RAMI MALEK) -- that any attempt to escape will likely result in being shot to death or two years in solitary confinement for the first offense and another five for a second.
Realizing money is the only real power and knowing Louis probably has some smuggled inside his body, Papillon offers to provide protection to the much smaller -- and thus more vulnerable -- man in exchange for funding to help his escape. Louis reluctantly agrees, but Papillon's initial attempt fails and he gets two years of solitary.
Undeterred by that or the risks of trying again, he hatches another plot upon the end of that first period, one that not only involves Louis, but also fellow prisoners Celier (ROLAND MOLLER) and the much younger Maturette (JOEL BASMAN).
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Unless they're fans of someone in the cast, it doesn't seem that likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For violence including bloody images, language, nudity, and some sexual material.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.