(2017) (Hugh Bonneville, Sally Hawkins) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Family Adventure: Paddington the Bear is framed for stealing a rare and valuable pop-up book, and it's up to the Brown family to clear his name.
- After years in the jungle, Paddington the bear (voice of BEN WHISHAW) has settled into a comfortable lifestyle in London living with the Brown family. The Browns are as eccentric as ever, with patriarch Henry (HUGH BONNEVILLE) going through a midlife crisis after being passed over for a promotion at work; matriarch Mary (SALLY HAWKINS), who yearns for an adventure beyond her children's book illustrations; teen daughter Judy (MADELEINE HARRIS), who has started an indie newspaper after her boyfriend broke up with her; and teen son Jonathan (SAMUEL JOSLIN), who is no longer interested in toy trains and has adopted a hip-hop alter ego.
Paddington remains constant and steadfast in his polite manners, good humor, and eagerness to look for the good in others. His kind and genuine ways are adored by his neighbors, which include forgetful Dr. Jafri (SANJEEV BHASKAR), newly smitten couple Colonel Lancaster (BEN MILLER) and Miss Kitts (JESSICA HYNES), and Mrs. Bird (JULIE WALTERS), the Browns live-in housekeeper. Only Homeowners Association President Mr. Curry (PETER CAPALDI) still has it in for Paddington from the first film.
Tensions rise when Paddington is accused of stealing a valuable pop-up book from Mr. Gruber's (JIM BROADBENT) antique store -- a book he had been saving to buy for his Aunt Lucy's (voice of IMELDA STAUNTON) 100th birthday. Paddington is sent to jail, where he befriends a gruff prison cook named Knuckles McGinty (BRENDAN GLEESON), and soon comes to learn that down-on-his-luck actor Phoenix Buchanan (HUGH GRANT) is the real criminal and believes the book contains clues to a long-forgotten treasure.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- This is a wonderful movie for children and young teens and is being promoted directly to them and families.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For some action and mild rude humor.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.