(2018) (Saoirse Ronan, Billy Howle) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: As various flashbacks show the moments leading up to it, a young couple of the early 1960s are nervous and awkward about consummating their marriage on their wedding night.
- It's 1962 and Florence Ponting (SAOIRSE RONAN) and Edward Mayhew (BILLY HOWLE) have just gotten married and checked into a seaside hotel for their honeymoon. Both appear awkward and nervous while having dinner and then afterward, with thoughts of consummating their marriage obviously on their minds. As this occurs, we see various flashbacks to the beginnings of their relationship.
Then, Florence lived with her prim and proper parents, Violet (EMILY WATSON) and Geoffrey (SAMUEL WEST), and sister, Ruth (BEBE CAVE), and enjoyed the comforts of wealth. Edward, on the other hand, grew with far less affluence with his two younger sisters, Anne (ANNA BURGESS) and Harriet (MIA BURGESS), and father, Lionel (ADRIAN SCARBOROUGH), who must also contend with the aftereffects of a past brain injury to the family's matriarch, Marjorie (ANNE-MARIE DUFF).
As we see the couple interacting with each other and their families during their courtship, the film repeatedly returns to the present day and the awkward attempts at consummating the marriage.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're fans of anyone in the cast. Otherwise it doesn't seem too likely.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For some sexual content and nudity.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.