(2018) (Sunny Suljic, Katherine Waterston) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A 13-year-old boy growing up in mid-1990s Southern California gets in with a group of older skateboarders to escape his troubled home life.
- Stevie (SUNNY SULJIC) is a directionless 13-year-old boy who lives with his single mother, Dabney (KATHERINE WATERSTON), and violent, ill-tempered older brother, Ian (LUCAS HEDGES). He craves connection and fun and falls in with a group of mostly older skateboarders who live carefree, smoke, drink, party, and talk nonsense all day long.
These boys include: Ray (NA-KEL SMITH), who has the skills to possibly become a professional skateboarder; F*cksh*t (OLAN PRENATT), the group's ill-nicknamed ne'er-do-well who just wants to live in the moment each day; Fourth Grade (RYDER McLAUGHLIN), who comes from an extremely poor family and dreams of being a filmmaker; and Ruben (GIO GALICIA), who is closest to Stevie's age and comes from a home of abuse and drugs. They take Stevie in, for the most, and he proves himself with a crazy skateboard stunt that nearly kills him.
But petty jealousies threaten to unravel the small circle. F*cksh*t can feel Ray may be on the verge of moving on. Ruben gets jealous that Stevie immediately surpasses him with the older boys. And Fourth Grade can't seem to say anything right. Meanwhile, Stevie gets punched on by his older brother; has a first-time sexual encounter with an older girl, Estee (ALEXA DEMIE); and his mother tries her best to be a good parent, even though she has no husband and still sees a succession of men.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens may be attracted to its young cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For pervasive language, sexual content, drug and alcohol use, and some violent behavior/disturbing images -- all involving minors.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.