(2018) (Kiki Layne, Stephan James) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Drama: A young, unmarried couple must contend with her being pregnant while he's in prison for a crime he didn't commit.
- Clementine "Tish" Rivers (KIKI LAYNE) and Alonzo "Fonny" Hunt (STEPHAN JAMES) have known each other since they were young kids, but they're now unmarried lovers. Complicating matters is that she's now pregnant while he's in prison for a crime he didn't commit. And that's of raping Victoria Rogers (EMILY RIOS), who's been convinced by white racist Officer Bell (ED SKREIN) that Fonny is the perpetrator despite him having been hanging out with his friend, Daniel Carty (BRIAN TYREE HENRY), at the time of the violent crime.
Tish's parents, Sharon (REGINA KING) and Joseph (COLMAN DOMINGO), and sister, Ernestine (TEYONAH PARRIS), are excited by the news but concerned about Fonny being imprisoned. That sentiment is shared by his father, Frank (MICHAEL BEACH), but not his highly religious mother, Alice (AUNJANUE ELLIS), or sisters, Adrienne (EBONY OBSIDIAN) and Sheila (DOMINIQUE THORNE).
As the story goes back and forth through time from the present back to when Tish and Fonny became an item, she and her family try to do what they can to prove Fonny's innocence and get him out of prison.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Teens might be drawn to the love story and/or that of a young black man being caught up in the criminal justice system.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language and some sexual content.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.