(2018) (Will Ferrell, John C. Reilly) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Comedy: A detective and his longtime companion find their partnership threatened by what they uncover after a dead body is found in the detective's birthday cake.
- It's 1912 and Sherlock Holmes (WILL FERRELL) is London's most renowned detective with an impeccable record of solving cases with his assistant, Dr. John Watson (JOHN C. REILLY), while Mrs. Martha Hudson (KELLY MacDONALD) takes care of matters at home as Sherlock's housekeeper.
Their longtime nemesis has been Professor James Moriarty (RALPH FIENNES) who Inspector Lestrade (ROB BRYDON) currently has under arrest for murder, but with no witnesses currently alive, it looks like the villain will go free. That is, unless Sherlock proves otherwise.
What he does instead, however, is prove that the man currently in custody is a lookalike and that the real criminal is on the loose. Things become more complicated when a dead body falls out of Sherlock's immense birthday cake with a note that says the Queen (PAM FERRIS) will be killed in just a few days.
Accordingly, she tasks Sherlock with solving the case and singling out the killer, which ultimately has them meeting American physician Grace Hart (REBECCA HALL) and her mostly mute assistant who was raised by feral cats, Millicent (LAUREN LAPKUS).
Sherlock starts falling for her while Watson does the same with Grace, but as the detective continues working the case, he comes to the startling conclusion that his longtime assistant could possibly be the perp he's after.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- They might if they're into goofy comedies the kind of which Will Ferrell is often associated.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For crude sexual material, some violence, language and drug references.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.