<! -- Start Review Content -- > <! -- Start Chart -- >
(2018) (David Oyelowo, Joel Edgerton) (R)
<! -- Start Quick Take -- >
- QUICK TAKE:
- Black Comedy: Efforts to get a pharmaceutical company's cannabis pill out of Mexico and into the U.S. throw various people's lives into turmoil.
- Richard Rusk (JOEL EDGERTON) and Elaine Markinson (CHARLIZE THERON) are the ruthless co-owners of a pharmaceutical company and they want to get their cannabis pill out of the Mexican plant where it's produced and distribute it across America via a number of business partners, including Jerry (ALAN RUCK). Accordingly, they and their operations supervisor, Harold Soyinka (DAVID OYELOWO), travel across the border to inform the plant's supervisor, Celerino Sanchez (HERNÁN MENDOZA), that they'll no longer be supplying drugs to Villegas (CARLOS CORONA), a cartel kingpin known as The Black Panther. Harold isn't aware of that previous arrangement, although he's worried about his job security what with his wife, Bonnie (THANDIE NEWTON), racking up a lot of debt with her fledgling, one-client business.
When Harold happens to overhear that he's going to be let go and then learns that his wife is having an affair and is leaving him, he decides he can't return home. Instead, he checks into a cheap motel and decides to fake his own kidnapping with the help of the siblings who run the motel, Ronaldo Gonzalez (DIEGO CATANO) and Ernesto Gonzalez (RODRIGO COREA), and a staged call to Richard featuring a $5 million dollar ransom. Knowing that his humanitarian aid brother, Mitch (SHARLTO COPLEY), used to be a mercenary, Richard calls him up for help in getting Harold out of that situation.
Unbeknownst to them, Villegas isn't happy to hear that Richard is cutting off his drug supply and thus has his men, including Angel Valverde (YUL VAZQUEZ), looking for Harold who can unlock a safe with his fingerprint and thus give the drug lord access to Richard's product and its formula. At the same time, guitar shop employee Miles (HARRY TREADAWAY) has accepted an unrelated offer to serve as a drug mule and likewise smuggle Richard's product across the border into America, with his girlfriend, Sunny (AMANDA SEYFRIED), completely unaware of that plan.
From that point on, the various lives of those various characters intersect, with the outcome of how it will all play out being anything but certain.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens might be drawn to the intersecting black comedy storylines or by anyone who's in the cast.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language throughout, violence and sexual content.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.