(2018) (Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action Comedy: Three couples and one single man convene for a game night that goes horribly awry when one of them is kidnapped and the others, at first, think it's all part of a game.
- Max (JASON BATEMAN) and Annie (RACHEL McADAMS) are a young married couple who still delight in holding weekly "Game Nights" with their friends, who include fellow married couple Kevin (LAMORNE MORRIS) and Michelle (KYLIE BUNBURY) and handsome, but dim single Ryan (BILLY MAGNUSSEN) and his latest girlfriend-of-the-week. The intentionally leave out their cop neighbor, Gary (JESSE PLEMONS), who has only gotten weirder and morose since his recent divorce.
Max has a lot of anxiety about the latest Game Night, as it will involve his more handsome, more successful brother, Brooks (KYLE CHANDLER), hosting. Brooks has promised a murder mystery in which he will be kidnapped and the players have to figure out who did it and where he has been taken. The winner gets the keys to his classic, revamped 1976 Corvette Stingray, which happens to be Max's all-time favorite car. Because he rarely wins, Ryan decides to bring along an older, smarter, and Irish woman named Sarah (SHARON HORGAN) to help him outsmart the others.
But matters go awry when Brooks is truly kidnapped. It takes a while for the players to realize that the game has become real. From there, they tangle with two criminals, Donald Anderton (DANNY HUSTON) and The Bulgarian (MICHAEL C. HALL). At the very least, by the end, Brooks has made good on his promise to give his brother and his friends a "game night they'll never forget."
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens may be attracted to the film's action and comedy mix.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, sexual references, and some violence.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.