(2018) (Jason Bateman, Rachel McAdams) (R)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action Comedy: Three couples and one single man convene for a game night that goes horribly awry when one of them is kidnapped and the others, at first, think it's all part of a game.
- Max (JASON BATEMAN) and Annie (RACHEL McADAMS) are a young married couple who still delight in holding weekly "Game Nights" with their friends, who include fellow married couple Kevin (LAMORNE MORRIS) and Michelle (KYLIE BUNBURY) and handsome, but dim single Ryan (BILLY MAGNUSSEN) and his latest girlfriend-of-the-week. The intentionally leave out their cop neighbor, Gary (JESSE PLEMONS), who has only gotten weirder and morose since his recent divorce.
Max has a lot of anxiety about the latest Game Night, as it will involve his more handsome, more successful brother, Brooks (KYLE CHANDLER), hosting. Brooks has promised a murder mystery in which he will be kidnapped and the players have to figure out who did it and where he has been taken. The winner gets the keys to his classic, revamped 1976 Corvette Stingray, which happens to be Max's all-time favorite car. Because he rarely wins, Ryan decides to bring along an older, smarter, and Irish woman named Sarah (SHARON HORGAN) to help him outsmart the others.
But matters go awry when Brooks is truly kidnapped. It takes a while for the players to realize that the game has become real. From there, they tangle with two criminals, Donald Anderton (DANNY HUSTON) and The Bulgarian (MICHAEL C. HALL). At the very least, by the end, Brooks has made good on his promise to give his brother and his friends a "game night they'll never forget."
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Older teens may be attracted to the film's action and comedy mix.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: R
- For language, sexual references, and some violence.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- has complete and highly detailed listings of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
PLUS, there are NO ads to distract or slow you down.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly or one-year membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review (and the complete listings of all the Sex, Nudity, Profanity, Violence and more), as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2021 Screen It, Inc.