(2018) (voices of Eddie Redmayne, Tom Hiddleston) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Animated Comedy: Despite knowing nothing about the game, a young caveman challenges a more advanced civilization and their championship football (soccer) team to a match in hopes of winning back access to the valley where he and his small tribe live.
- It's the dawn of the Bronze Age and Dug (voice of EDDIE REDMAYNE) is a caveman who still lives in the Stone Age with the rest of his small tribe. He thinks they should start hunting large game such as mammoths, but Chief Bobnar (voice of TIMOTHY SPALL) believes they're more suited for rabbit hunting and should stick to that. Their primitive world is interrupted, however, when Lord Nooth (voice of TOM HIDDLESTON) arrives in their valley and drives them out so that he can mine even more bronze. Despite the rest of his tribe fleeing, Dug and his loyal pig Hognob (sounds by NICK PARK) try to fight back but Dug is accidentally knocked out, and when he comes to he's inside Lord Nooth's walled kingdom.
There, Dug ends up mistaken for being a player on the championship Really Bronzio football (soccer) team and when his true identity is revealed, he challenges the champions to a football match. Knowing the cavemen don't stand a chance, Lord Nooth agrees to give them back their valley if they win, but if they lose they'll be forced into hard labor working in the mines. Dug returns to his tribe in the volcanic badlands and tries to convince the others to compete in the game that was created by their ancestors long ago, but has since been completely forgotten by their people.
In need of a new ball, Dug sneaks back into the kingdom to get one and that's where he meets Goona (voice of MAISIE WILLIAMS) who sells bronze pans by day and secretly plays football at night on the stadium field by herself. Knowing she'll otherwise never get to play in a real game, she decides to join Dug's team and teach him and his tribe how to play for real. With the big match coming up and with Queen Oofeefa (voice of MIRIAM MARGOLYES) arriving to watch, it's up to Dug and his ragtag group of players to defeat the champions and win back their land.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- Younger kids might be drawn in by the old school animation or perhaps by the soccer/football and/or caveman angle. Fans of the work of Aardman Animations (Wallace & Gromit, Shaun the Sheep, etc.) might also be interested.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For rude humor and some action.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2019 Screen It, Inc.