(2018) (Alex Neustaedter, Becky G) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: After befriending a robot dog that's part military weapon and part faithful canine companion, a teenager tries to keep him safe from others who want to do him harm.
- Miles Hill (ALEX NEUSTAEDTER) is a teenager who lives with his widowed dad, Chuck (THOMAS JANE), and believes he's bad at everything except for Motocross. And that's without the trappings and apparent advantage of having a wealthy father like competitor Sam Fontaine (ALEX MacNICOLL) has.
One person who can empathize with Miles is Sara Reyes (BECKY G) whose single mother works for the Fontaine family, meaning the teen must hang around with Sam and his hangers-on. Miles meets her for the second time at a party Sam is throwing, and the next day the rich kid and his friends leave Miles out in the desert following an accident caused by their sabotage.
That's when Miles happens across a huge robotic dog named A.X.L. That's short for Attack, Exploration, Logistics as given to him by computer inventor and programmer Andric (DOMINIC RAINS) who'd developed the artificial canine as a weapon for the military.
After a brief violent encounter between the teen and robot dog, Miles ends up proving he's not the enemy by repairing the mechanical pooch and the two end up bonding, partly because that's part of A.X.L.'s programming.
Soon Sara ends up meeting the robot dog as well, and it's up to them to try to keep him safe not only from Sam and his friends, but also various military types who want their weapon back.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- The sci-fi military weapon twist on the old boy and his dog story might draw in some, while those who are fans of either of the two young leads might also show some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For sci-fi action/peril, suggestive material, thematic elements and some language.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.