(2018) (Alex Neustaedter, Becky G) (PG)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Sci-Fi: After befriending a robot dog that's part military weapon and part faithful canine companion, a teenager tries to keep him safe from others who want to do him harm.
- Miles Hill (ALEX NEUSTAEDTER) is a teenager who lives with his widowed dad, Chuck (THOMAS JANE), and believes he's bad at everything except for Motocross. And that's without the trappings and apparent advantage of having a wealthy father like competitor Sam Fontaine (ALEX MacNICOLL) has.
One person who can empathize with Miles is Sara Reyes (BECKY G) whose single mother works for the Fontaine family, meaning the teen must hang around with Sam and his hangers-on. Miles meets her for the second time at a party Sam is throwing, and the next day the rich kid and his friends leave Miles out in the desert following an accident caused by their sabotage.
That's when Miles happens across a huge robotic dog named A.X.L. That's short for Attack, Exploration, Logistics as given to him by computer inventor and programmer Andric (DOMINIC RAINS) who'd developed the artificial canine as a weapon for the military.
After a brief violent encounter between the teen and robot dog, Miles ends up proving he's not the enemy by repairing the mechanical pooch and the two end up bonding, partly because that's part of A.X.L.'s programming.
Soon Sara ends up meeting the robot dog as well, and it's up to them to try to keep him safe not only from Sam and his friends, but also various military types who want their weapon back.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- The sci-fi military weapon twist on the old boy and his dog story might draw in some, while those who are fans of either of the two young leads might also show some interest.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG
- For sci-fi action/peril, suggestive material, thematic elements and some language.
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2020 Screen It, Inc.