(2018) (Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly) (PG-13)
- QUICK TAKE:
- Action: An unlikely superhero -- who can change his physical size using a specialized suit -- tries to help a scientist and that man's adult daughter -- who also possesses a similar suit -- rescue their wife/mother from a subatomic Quantum Realm where she's been trapped for decades, all while fending off various villains who want their high-tech invention.
- Decades ago, Dr. Hank Pym (MICHAEL DOUGLAS) and his wife, Janet (MICHELLE PFEIFFER), were secret superheroes known as Ant-Man and The Wasp who, thanks to specialized suits they developed and wore, could shrink down to insect size yet maintain their strength. When Janet shrank down to an even smaller size than that to enter and disable a missile in flight to save the lives of countless people, Hank assumed she perished in the subatomic world known as the Quantum Realm.
But with his successor to the Ant-Man role, Scott Lang (PAUL RUDD), having entered and then returned from that realm, Hank and his now adult daughter, Hope Van Dyne (EVANGELINE LILLY), wonder if Janet might have somehow survived and could be still living in that microscopic world. That point is brought home when Scott has a quantum encounter with Janet in his head, something that leaves Hank and Hope with mixed feelings, what with having a past falling out with Scott due to events that occurred in Germany that involved many other superheroes.
Now under house arrest, Scott tries to help run a security company with his former criminal partner, Luis (MICHAEL PENA), and their two associates, Kurt (DAVID DASTMALCHIAN) and Dave (T.I.), all while spending time with his young daughter Cassie (ABBY RYDER FORTSON), who lives with her mom, Maggie (JUDY GREER), and cop stepdad, Paxton (BOBBY CANNAVALE), but hangs out with her dad as much as possible.
Wanting to finish out his house arrest, Scott doesn't really want to get involved with Hank and Hope, but she ends up abducting him while in the guise of her superhero alter-ego, The Wasp, all of which worries Scott that FBI agent Jimmy Woo (RANDALL PARK) is going to catch him away from home and then send him away to prison for twenty years.
But he, Hope and Hank have bigger concerns as a pivotal tech device Hope tried to purchase from black market criminal Sonny Burch (WALTON GOGGINS) has now been stolen by the dimension-shifting mercenary, Ghost (HANNAH JOHN-KAMEN). Known as Ava to Hank's former S.H.I.E.L.D. partner, Dr. Bill Foster (LAURENCE FISHBURNE), who's tried to help her over the years, she suffered a molecular accident as a child and could soon disappear or die due to her affliction.
She wants that device in order to extract quantum elements from Janet, while Burch wants it simply to capitalize on what could be a lucrative market, and Hank and Hope need it to try to rescue Janet from the Quantum Realm. With a limited window where that can take place, Scott does what he can to help.
- WILL KIDS WANT TO SEE IT?
- If they're into superhero movies they probably will.
- WHY THE MPAA RATED IT: PG-13
- For some sci-fi action violence.
That's just the introduction of this review. The full review -- available to our members -- includes summaries of the sex, nudity, profanity, violence and more (15 categories) so you won't be surprised by what you might see or hear in this movie.
We have two options for you:
1) If you're ready to sign for a monthly ($5/month) membership, you can sign up now and get immediate access to this review, others released this week, and thousands of others going back several decades.
We offer a 30-day, money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose by signing up. If you're not happy with what we offer, simply contact us and ask for a refund and we'll process that right away.
2) If you want to check out our site first, we invite you to sign up for a FREE 3-day Pass into our Membership Site to our site so that you can finish reading the review as well as take a look at the thousands of other reviews on our site.
No credit card is needed and there's no obligation to continue after the 3 days (although we hope you'll like what you see and then join us as full members).
By entering this site you acknowledge to having read and agreed to the above conditions.
All Rights Reserved,
©1996-2022 Screen It, Inc.